Monday 7 September 2009

Daunt Books


Now I don't get much time to go shopping for books during the week. A quick nip to WHSmith during my lunch hour is never very satisfying and I tend to order a lot of stuff on-line from Amazon. But all that is about to change as I've just discovered London's legendary Daunt bookshop is open until the healthy time of 7.30pm Monday-Saturday.

Daunt Books is the oldest purpose built bookshop in Britain and is a brilliant place for bookworms to mix and mingle or share their latest finds. Rather uniquely, the books are arranged by geography rather than alphabetically or by genre - and I find this really helpful. Last time I went to pick up a Dostoevsky novel and walked out with a book on the Russian Royal family too.!

Daunt Books also host plenty of talks, accommodating an audience of 150, and tickets are generally£5 and include a glass of wine! What's not to love?

1 comment: